Tuesday, January 29, 2013

daily food




Almond milk has been a staple in my kitchen for quite a while now. I like it over cereal and in my tea and smoothies. I figure if I go light on the dairy in certain areas it will help make up for the times when I just can't resist a bowl of ice cream. Unfortunately store bought almond milk has a bunch of additives that I would really rather not ingest, so I've been experimenting with making my own. But it always came out too... almondy. And a bit too gritty. It was alright mixed in with things and I could live with it in tea, but any type of cereal I tried it with ended up just tasting like soggy almonds. Between that and the effort involved, it made it really hard not to just reach for the carton in the store isle, despite all the gross stuff I know is hiding in there.

But I think I have found a solution. Cashew milk is my new favorite thing. The flavor is much milder and closer to milk and the cashews seem to soften up more than almonds after a night of soaking so they blend up better, leaving less of a gritty texture. It passes the cereal test and it tastes nice in tea as well. Win!

Cashew Milk

1 part cashews
3 parts milk

Soak nuts overnight or for at least 8 hours. Rinse and put in blender. Add 1 part water and blend thoroughly, then add rest of water and blend again. If you have a nut milk bag then use that to strain into your storage container. I don't have one yet so I just passed it through a fine mesh sieve a few times until all the cashew bits were strained out. Cheesecloth would probably work too.

There are all sorts of flavors that would be nice to experiment with: vanilla, dates, cinnamon, chocolate, maple... so many possibilities.

No comments: